Friday, June 6, 2008

When The ______ Hits the Fan!

Before you read the title and think, "Raunchy!", read on. I'm not one of those people who have lots of weird things happen in my life. I have a friend who begins every conversation with, "You're not going to believe what happened to me!" Things are pretty low key around here. After you read about my "weird thing", you'll agree. But I thought it was worth sharing. A couple of nights ago, I stayed up way past bedtime to do some testing online. When I was finished, I went to bed. I was just drifting off to sleep and I heard my daughter screaming. This is not the weird part. This is a common occurrence. I went downstairs and took her to the bathroom. I put her back to bed and went back upstairs. I crawled back into bed and thought to myself, "that fan is too loud". So I got up and turned the box fan down to low. On my way back to bed, I tripped over the "Total Gym" (which might as well be a coat hanger these days) stubbed my toe as quietly as I could so as not to wake up "Sleeping Beauty". I get back into bed again. I pull the covers up again and notice this blinking light crawling towards me. It was a really fast blink and really bright. I'm thinking, "I've never seen a lightning bug like that". I remembered that a few nights back, my husband pointed out this tiny spider on the floor that would light up every few seconds. So if that was a tiny spider that lit up, this must be a BIG spider that lit up! I sat straight up and fumbled for the light. Then, this creature flies straight up in the air, gets caught in the ceiling fan,(which sounded like an ostrich caught in the blades of a helicopter) blinking all the way, flies out of the ceiling fan and hits the box fan which sends it hurtling across the room. I felt like I was at an arcade. I had my very own Insect Pinball going on in the middle of my bedroom. I finally found the light and discovered it was only a harmless, large, disoriented, lightning bug. My husband kind of stirred and frowned when I turned on the light. Missed the show again. Back to sleep dear. All is well.

6 comments:

Wani said...

Thats so weird! I'd freak out if I had some UFO light flying around my room at night!

Unknown said...

No way! It was big enough to knock the fan down? I would be freaking out big time. Is the light-up spider real? *shudder*
Love ya! Sniz

Wani said...

I've enjoyed having your oldest son on my VBS team. What a character!

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

I've never seen a "lightning spider" or a lightning bug big enough to knock anything down. Are you making this up? If not, I want to come over and see these creatures. Maybe you've discovered some new creatures that will make you famous. That spider could be named after you (or one of your kids). Or, maybe the excessive rain is doing something funky to the bugs.

My Thoughts Exactly said...

The bug went hurtling across the room, not the fan. It shot out of the ceiling fan, hit the blades of the box fan and flew across the room. Ask D about the light up spider. He called it to my attention. I'd never seen anything like it.

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

Maybe the spider ate a lightning bug?

Plus, there was an old lady who swallowed a spider. It riggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.