Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The New Mr. and Mrs.

My husband and I always joke about being "average". We really don't "stand out" in anything. I have friends and relatives that can: cook gourmet meals, run marathons, make scrapbook pages that would blow your mind, decorate beautiful homes, have flower gardens that are gorgeous, make a bookcase, paint masterpieces, sew wonderfully.....you get the idea.
I suffer from "good, butnotasgood" disease. We've given ourselves new names. My husband and I are now, "Mr. and Mrs. Mediocre". I can't speak for him, but there is one thing that I'm good at. It is my gift . It is the gift of silliness. Those who don't have it, don't want it. Those who have it, might choose something else, if they could. I happen to like being silly. It tends to make the career of parenthood a touch easier. Even before I was a parent, you'd always find me a the "kid's table". Little kids used to flock to me like I was the "Pied Piper". I truly love them and I learn so much from them. It's fun to be silly and it's not that hard. Besides, who wants to make a bookcase anyway?

5 comments:

Wani said...

I think alot of us don't appreciate our own gifts. We so easily see the good things about others but have such a hard time seeing the good in ourselves. Keep looking, hopefully someday you'll see the wonderful, giving, creative, gifted, faithful, special person the rest of us do!

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

Amen to what Wani said. I can honestly say that I look up to you guys.

You're also a true servant...and a great writer.

Anonymous said...

As your sister, and someone who knows and loves you, you and D are anything but mediocre. I agree with big doofus, I look up to you too. I always tell everyone that I wish I was as creative as you. You have the knack of being able to do...well, whatever you put your mind to. You may not always get it done in a timely manner (or at all), but you put your heart into whatever it is you're doing and it always turns out great. Remember the frame you did for me and Brian for our wedding? I always look at that and think 'WOW!' No one else would have seen what you did from that blurry picture. They would have glanced at it once and tossed it, probably using expletives along the way. But not you. You took one look and saw potential. Now it is on the wall as a testament of your love for me and Brian and also your creativity. I love you very much...and the silliness that you mentioned...well, that's my favorite part about you. You make me smile and laugh and that means the world to me.

Unknown said...

You are wonderfully silly...being around you is fun. But girl, you are SOOOO creative! I absolutely love that about you!

Snizzers

kikipoo said...

I agree completely with what the other four have said about you Boo. You don't realize just how talented you are. Everything that middle child had to say I echo with all my heart. You put your heart and soul in to everything you do. Some of my most cherished mementos are things which you have created. You give of yourself so freely when anyone needs help with anything and even when they don't. If you ever stop being silly, you wouldn't be you. I mean who else can quote movies line for line. Just kidding. Your little laugh that you have after you say something or do something silly reminds me so much of grandma. And like Wani said, I don't think any of us appreciate our own gifts, we can only see the talent in others. You have it girl, hold on to it, especially the silliness.