Friday, May 9, 2008

My Signature

My oldest son has a cast on his right arm. This is what I would sign on his cast if there was room:


"Dear M- I was hoping that this cast would slow you down a bit. Sort of like an imaginary shackle to keep you chained to me for awhile longer. Then, I could hold you like I did when you were a baby. I could look into your beautiful, striking blue eyes and enjoy your infectious smile. You would say, "Mommy, I need you" or "Mommy, I want you". Everyone used to laugh at you because you would say those words so fast, it sounded like one word. Well, you're not a baby anymore. You're my big boy with a broken arm. It hurts me to see you hurt because I love you so. I love your tender, compassionate heart. I love the way you view the world. I love how you would help the hungry, needy, and oppressed by simply inviting them to our house so that we could care for them. I love your spirit. I love you. Love- Momma"

I opted to write, "MOM" on his upper arm. Like on of the old homemade tattoos. He didn't like it though, because I put a heart in place of the letter "o". Big boys don't have hearts on their casts.

3 comments:

Wani said...

Oh... I was so heartbroken when Nate broke his arm last fall. Its so hard to see our babies hurt! Nate's cast didn't slow him down any either. Sigh... they're growing up whether we like it or not.
Thanks for the comments on Joe. I try to focus on the little improvements we've been seeing over the last month or two. Its hard to not do all the "what ifs" but it doesn't really help so I try to push those aside and just do what I can now. Some days its too much for me though. I'm sure God's trying to teach me something in all of this - I wish I'd hurry up and learn it so we can move on.

jan said...

You know what I'd say to "the boy" not being happy about a heart replacing an "O"? Too bad, so sad.
They need momma love and femininity whether they like it or not! :-)
You need to save the letter you would've written if there was room. Maybe you could do a scrapbook page with a picture of him with the cast and the letter you wish you could put on it?....

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

You could have told him that it was "WOW" spelled with the ace of spades as the "o". That would be cool!