Friday, June 20, 2008

A Mere Observation

I only subscribe to one magazine, "Family Fun", but I do get hand-me-downs from my husband's office and a couple from his grandma. I've discovered that the editors of women's magazines really have a pretty low opinion of the American woman. According to them we:

  • Are Overweight
  • Are Lousy parents
  • Are Bad with money
  • Love to eat
  • Messy
  • Need help with our intimate life

You need not even open the magazine. It's all laid out for you right on the cover. "Get your Body Beach Ready in 5 Days!", "How to Behave So Your Children Will", "6 Steps to Financial Freedom", "Get Your Closet Organized in 7 Minutes", "Dinner in under 30 minutes" and the last topic will remain undiscussed as this blog is rated for general audiences. All this surrounding the "average" American Supermodel. My personal fave is the one on the cover of a fitness magazine that says "Bikini's for Every Body Type" . You open it up and every model has washboard abs. Somehow, my body type wasn't included in "every". But, I digress. I am just simply amazed at how they sell these magazines month after month. They are the exact same thing with different pictures! They put the articles about money right in the midst of all of these ads. They put the ab workout at the beginning and all of the delectable recipes at the end. But I'm on to them. I'm sure that the title, "If you Don't Have the Cash, Put it Back" wouldn't sell magazines. After all we're spending our hard-earned money buying the same magazine over and over each month!

No comments: